Friday 18 March 2016

Novel Intentions

I have a book. It's in my head. 

I have characters with names and backgrounds and motivation. I have a sketchy plot. I have a setting and themes. I know a little about what's it about and think I know what I want to say. 


I don't know the end or most of the middle bit but that's beside the point...


The thing is I've not actually started writing it yet.  


I've planned and plotted. I've filled out character questionnaires. I've even given some thought to research on the setting but I can't seem to bring myself to dedicating any 'real' writing to paper or screen.


I've written blog posts, short stories and flash fiction but admitting to writing an 'actual book' is another thing entirely. 


I'm about 2% sure it's a decent idea and 98% sure it's the worst idea to ever grace a human brain in the history of mankind...ever.


The idea of writing a full length novel terrifies me. 


Maybe it's the idea of committing so much time and energy to one project, which could (and most likely will) ultimately fail. Despite the thought, creativity and work that goes into writing short stories and flash fiction, I can knock them out in a relatively short period of time (compared to a novel that is) so it doesn't seem to matter as much if they aren't short-listed for a competition or snapped up for a magazine. I can just move onto the next piece. 


The chances of writing a successful first novel are like the chances of anything coming from Mars (a million to one they said...just in case you were wondering). In fact many authors' 'first' book is actually the 5th, 10th, 20th attempt. But does it matter if it's not snapped up by a publisher? Or if anyone reads it for that matter? 

Well, I've not quite worked that one out yet.

3 comments:

  1. Confidence and self belief. It is a huge commitment in time and energy but if you never sell it you will have learnt so much in the process. Just keep laying down words. I'm just about to rewrite my first novel which I haven't touched for at least three years. Part of me thinks why bother, start something new but the stronger part says 'I really believe in that book and I want to tell that story.' So I will try and tell it again and tell it better. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy. You're right, of course! There's no other way to write than to actually start writing...I have a feeling that once I get going I might enjoy it. It's just taking that first step that's the issue. Good luck with your rewrite and thanks for commenting.

      Delete
    2. I know just how you feel. I think it's the fear of getting started and then not being able to stop - I am a control freak :) Thank you and you too.

      Delete